No matter what the quality of the school administration management software, it still needs a good leader to implement and manage. A good leader or principal is needed to make a school or afterschool program successful. Several studies have been done on the characteristics of good leaders. Below is a list of these qualities.
1. Consistent and high expectations. A good leader expects the best from his or her subordinates and students. These expectations are consistent and don’t change from day to day. They want all their students to be successful and therefore expects high performance from them and inspires them to reach their goals.
2. Disadvantages make no difference. Good leaders show that students with disadvantages, whether financial or otherwise, can perform just as well and even better than others without disadvantages.
3. Focus on staff development. Effective leaders focus on improving teaching and learning on all levels by developing his or her staff to be the best and most effective educators. Professional development is something that an effective leader continually aims to improve.
4. Assessment and student progress. Good leaders are excellent at assessment and tracking and recording individual student progress. He or she has good knowledge of each individual student and knows when there are red flags. They address any problems effectively and with empathy.
5. Inclusiveness is important. Effective leaders are highly inclusive. They do not discriminate and they look at the student as a whole. They have regard for the student’s personal development and growth.
6. Student development both inside and outside the classroom. Effective leaders aim to develop students through rich learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom. They understand that a lot of important learning can take place outside the classroom and they aim to create other learning opportunities that take this into consideration.
7. Good partnerships. Successful leaders develop and maintain good relationships and partnerships with parents, businesses, and members of the community. Good relationships are invaluable for the development and progress of students and the school systems.
8. They strive to always improve. Effective leaders evaluate themselves, their strengths, weaknesses, and failures and look for ways to constantly improve. They always aim to better themselves and their skills. They have clear strategies for improvement and how to achieve success.
9. Manage change. Change is inevitable and often necessary. A good leader can understand and manage change and know when it is needed. He or she can effectively guide a school, teachers, and students through processes of change.
10. Good emotional intelligence. A good leader has good emotional intelligence and very good interpersonal skills. It is part of a leader’s job to influence people and win them over. It is needed to get people to work together and be efficient.
The 10 characteristics mentioned here may be more true in some situations and less in others. The bottom line is that these characteristics are all found to some extent in successful leaders all over the world and in different business and work environments.